Sunday, August 2, 2009

Glutton? Who me? NEVER!

Sweets are definitely one of the reasons I am alive...














Being a Hong Konger, I don't need to go particularly far here... everyone goes mental for the humble "daaan taaa" (egg tart). Yes, carry on with the elongated 'a's. Your reaction shall be similar, an ooh or an ahh escaping your lips. This was unfortunately at yum cha and not at the famous Egg Tart King's hole in the wall... the same man who converted ex Governor Chris Patten to the cult local following of this humble snack.



Cupcakes are good too. They bring me back. I think of times when I was a kid eating garishly coloured treats with sprinkles of 100s and 1000s - chocolate buttons - m&ms... ahh. Those really were the days. A lifetime of diabetes did not really seem to come up on the kiddy radar. This was a fortunate find the other day, I was super grateful the woman had sticky date (have a real penchant for it). It was absolutely more-ish and my friends looked on with a mixture of envy and disgust that I could be eating something so sweet as my first meal of the day... CUPCAKES ARE FOR ANY/EVERY OCCASION.


And of course, best for last. Brekkie one day at Pancakes on the Rocks. I ordered myself a more sinful stack than my usual pancake and scrambled egg combo. No regrets what so ever. I wasn't too crazy about the grilled banana (I like my fruit fresh) but the toffee sauce and the cream and icecream melting from the heat of freshly flipped pancakes, the buttery aroma intoxicating... ahh! It was heaven... on a plate.

I do hear from my Yankee friends that Australian pancakes are sweeter to what they have at home. I say, if you crack on to a good thing, stick by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment